PHONE: (412) 392-4900
Heinz Hall is a magnificent 2,600-seat performing arts center and the home stage to the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.
Formed in 1895, the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra is one of the world’s most respected classical music organizations.
Heinz Hall was originally built in 1927 as a grand movie palace and the regional flagship of the Loew’s Theater chain, which operated from 1904 until 1906 when it was merged with Cineplex Odeon Corporation in 1998. The chain was name after founder Marcus Loew (1870-1927).
Everything about the movie palace was truly palatial, starting with the Grand Lobby. This massive space featured ornamental columns, silk-lined walls, chandeliers made of bronze and crystal and a stunning marble staircase — all capped by a 50-foot tall, vaulted Venetian ceiling. Unfortunately, the growing popularity of television coupled by high operating expenses caused the theater to close in 1964. It was to be demolished until local food company magnate Henry John Heinz II (1908-1987) gathered together a group of regional leaders and foundations. Together, they helped the Pittsburgh Symphony to acquire and renovate the theater with an emphasis on restoring as much as possible with modifying the acoustics to accommodate live performances.
In addition to symphonic concerts, Heinz Hall is often used to stage traveling shows of various kinds.
The box office is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Saturday, Noon to 4:00 p.m. and on Sunday as needed.
A parking garage is located across the street.
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra: Stravinsky's Petrushka - 10/07/2022 - 10/09/2022 - 12:00 am
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra: Shostakovich Symphony No. 1 - 10/14/2022 - 10/16/2022 - 12:00 am
- The Best Of Doo-Wop Volume II - 10/15/2022 - 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Hocus Pocus - 10/19/2022 - 7:00 pm - 8:45 pm
- Duquesne Light: Lift Every Voice - 10/22/2022 - 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Pittsburgh Speakers Series - 10/26/2022 - 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra: Steinway Debut - 10/28/2022 - 10/30/2022 - 12:00 am
- Rajaton - 11/04/2022 - 11/06/2022 - 12:00 am
- Everyday Heroes - 11/05/2022 - 11:15 am - 12:00 pm
- Pittsburgh Speakers Series - 11/09/2022 - 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra: Tchaikovsky's Pathétique - 11/11/2022 - 11/13/2022 - 12:00 am
- Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons - 11/12/2022 - 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Elf - 11/18/2022 - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra Thanksgiving Traditions: Strauss Family Favorites - 11/25/2022 - 11/27/2022 - 12:00 am
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra: Mozart's Great Mass - 12/02/2022 - 12/04/2022 - 12:00 am
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra: Handel's Messiah - 12/03/2022 - 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra: Highmark Holiday Pops - 12/09/2022 - 12/18/2022 - 12:00 am
- Celtic Woman Christmas - 12/14/2022 - 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm
- A Marie Osmond Symphonic Christmas - 12/20/2022 - 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra: Rachmaninoff's Triumphant Final Symphony - 01/13/2023 - 01/15/2023 - 12:00 am
600 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 United States