PHONE: (412) 321-4107
Riverview Park is the oldest and fourth largest municipal park in Pittsburgh. It was established in 1894 by Allegheny City from a local farmer.
Allegheny City (1788-1907) was the independent municipality located just north of Pittsburgh across the Allegheny River. It was annexed by Pittsburgh in 1907 in a controversial move and is now the city’s North Side.
The park is best know as home to the Allegheny Observatory, an astronomical research institution operated by the University of Pittsburgh. It was built in 1859 by a group of wealthy industrialists for general public education before being donated to the university.
Visitors also enjoy a public pool, a playground, various shelters and the only horse riding path in the city’s park system.
Additional support for the park comes from the nonprofit Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy.
STANDARD OPERATING HOURS:
Daily, 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Call for information:
PORT AUTHORITY BUS ROUTES: 8
1 Riverview Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15214 United States